Sunday, October 2, 2011

Appendicitis--the whole story (for those who wanna know)

Well, I have been asked over and over to tell the story so I thought I'd write it all out for you. As most of you know, I was diagnosed with a ruptured appendix on Sunday, September 4, 2011, after about four days of stomach pain. It started on the Thursday before with a dull pain in my upper stomach area; on Friday, the pain continued and I thought I had a stomach ulcer. (Self diagnosis per google, ha!) Anyway, we were scheduled to go to San Antonio to the cabin, so we packed up and went. I hurt all day Friday but began eating bland food and staying away from diet Coke (thinking these things would stop the pain) (because I had an ulcer, remember?). Friday night, I hardly slept, I was hurting but not extreme. I was very uncomfortable. When Saturday morning came, I looked up how to stop stomach ulcer pain, went to HEB and purchased apple cider vinegar and baking soda. It didn't help and it was nasty to boot. I drank this concotion when we got home (one cup water, three tablespoons acv and half teaspoon soda). Finally, about 7:00 Saturday night, I took two Tylenol. It seemed to help. I went to bed, but woke up at 1:00a.m. and 6:00a.m. with a little fever. Took Tylenol both times and went back to bed. The next morning, I mentioned to Jerry that I had a light fever and he declared we were going home and to the ER. Personally, I wanted to go to a minor emergency center there in SA and get the magic pill for the daggum stomach ulcer I thought I had. HA!! Jerry won. On the way home, I called my sister in law to see what gallbladder pains felt like and what she described didn't ring a bell. Her recommendation was that I go to the ER as soon as we got home because it was Labor Day weekend, I had been in pain four days and all labs were closed. As soon as we got to Corpus, we unloaded and went to the ER. There, the doctor was nonchalant asking me why I came in that day versus two/three days before and I told her I wasn't concerned until I ran fever. A CT was ordered and sure enough my appendix was a blob on the CT rather than what it should have been. I was shocked! Mind you, I never threw up, had high fever or intense abdominal pain. We called our family and let them know--everyone was out of town for Labor Day weekend except Jerry's mom who graciously kept my kiddos. I was taken into surgery where the doctor found a ruptured appendix and an abscess. I was kept in the hospital for three more days with a drain in my tummy to help get the "yuck" out that had developed from the rupture. I was given Avalox and Flagyl by i.v. and when I was released from the hospital, I got oral of those two for seven days. Ten days after I was released, I was diagnosed with a small abscess per a CT. I was again given Avalox orally for five days and was scheduled for a procedure to drain the abscess. The procedure, though, was never done because the abscess began to shrink and was too small for the radiologists to drain. That's where we stand now. I go back to the surgeon this week to see if this whole ordeal is over. I still have lower abdominal pain, but I think I have gas bubbles or something. I don't know. I just think gas is the root of all stomach pain.:0) (Or, a stomach ulcer--hahaha) This has been a journey but one I've learned from--I need to slow down, I need to spend more time at home with my kids instead of going, going, going all the time with them, I need to eat better, I need to trust God and know that I'm never alone even when I feel alone. Those are some of my lessons. The first night in the hospital, I woke up at 3:00a.m. Jerry was sound asleep and I felt very much alone--couldn't call anyone at 3:00a.m. and cry to them. I was feeling real sorry for my lonely, hurting self when God laid this scripture on my heart--"Fear not for I am with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you." I don't know where that is the Bible and it doesn't/didn't matter. I have hidden that scripture in my heart now and am so thankful for such a wonderful lesson. God never left me nor forsook/forsaked me and will never.

No comments: